Friday, April 30, 2010

Wood if I could...


This is it... a room I spotted recently in Australian Home Beautiful. It's a Federation place in Kew in Melbourne. 

I love it and when flicking back through my ideas file (which pre-blog is in a plastic folder) I realised why. I am drawn time and again to the white walls, clean lines and polished floors combined with rustic, one of a kind timber pieces. 

We have an eight seater pine table - antique and my most prized possession... I have joked that I love it more than my children... I was joking until it was suggested it might be more practical to sell it than lug it around the world.

It's moved four times and has been squeeeeeezed into a couple of Sydney homes. We bought it in an antique shop in Melbourne and houses in Melbourne are a little larger than your average Paddington terrace. Having dined elbow to elbow in our London flat (as I told you here) I got very excited about being able to seat 8. I'll show you one day when I've polished it.

And speaking of polish - Kristine at The Painted Hive is a relatively new blogger too but one with talent!  I so envy her knack with old furniture. 

She has posted a fabulous list of the best stains and finishes for wooden pieces. Find it here and store it away for all those projects sitting in your garage. 



Now this is saved in my new virtual folder and I'll work on making my living room look like this on a slightly smaller scale. And I'll also try to keep in mind that this room probably doesn't look like this that much either - the owners have five sons!

(Images from Home Beautiful Australia, photographer  Rhiannon Slatter)

4 comments:

  1. I have also seen that house. The stone work is really nice and warm. I like the combination of the metal old navy chairs with the timber.
    I also noticed from your hanging basket picture, that the exterior of your house and mine is very similar. What good taste we have!! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann. Thanks so much for the mention! I often wonder if my little rantings actually help people out or not! Love this home, so clean and bright. Kew has some gorgeous old federation homes.
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the sound of your table. I think we all have pieces that have to follow us everywhere regardless of the inconvenience and cost. My problem, I have too many such pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely room, very relaxing. I look forward to seeing your dining table..I love large dining settings. Rxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write, Ann x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails