Monday, April 12, 2010

Chocolate love

I love chocolate. So much so I gave it up in January because things got a little out of hand. Easter was my undoing but on the up side it means I've been baking again.


Am I allowed to say that my brownies are pretty good? Well, to be fair mine and Nigella's.

Her book How to be a Domestic Goddess is one of my favourites and the brownie page is rather well used. I'm not a fan of a pristine cookbook... bit like a skinny chef...


I often halve the recipe which helps lessen the temptation to eat five at a time. Mostly!

I always trim the edges to get that perfect square and I leave the walnuts out because I'm a useless shopper and forget to buy them. Nigella says you should only use the best dark chocolate you can find - I agree, no cocoa.

Line the pan with baking paper and don't overcook or you won't get that gooey loveliness. Imagine me purring that last phrase in the manner of the original domestic goddess... or not!



375g soft unsalted butter
375g best-quality dark chocolate
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
500g caster sugar
225g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
300g chopped walnuts
 

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large bowl. 
Beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Measure the flour into another bowl and add the salt.
Let chocolate mixture cool a  little before beating in the eggs and sugar, and then flour and nuts.  Bake for about 25 minutes at 190 degrees - or longer but don't walk away from the oven....! 


Apparently makes about 48 but I've never counted. They are fabulous warm with vanilla ice cream and freeze rather well.

6 comments:

  1. So nice to see you have started a blog Ann and thankyou for your email!
    You blog looks very promising and I love your collection of blue and white...very nice.
    The brownies look delicious. We have a wonderful recipie from the Institute Of Sport from when my Husband was there and I was training there which is so yummy...and guilt free!
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolate.....did I hear the mention of chocolate? Ohhhhh, how gloriously decadent that looks....no post for me tonight I am off to the kitchen to try my hand. Now let me see I have the chocolate , the eggs, even the waln.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Nigella's other brownie recipe from Nigella Express? Highly recommend it. She uses ground almonds instead of flour. Delicious. Only problem is, having to constantly watch what I eat, it's not made very often in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have Nigella Express but I'll have a look - I have had to cut back on how much I make these too - I no longer offer to bring them to every dinner I'm invited to - I have no willpower so even having the cooking chocolate in the cupboard can be a disaster for me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me hooked because you sound like we are just side by side inside your kitchen. You appear to be very natural in the way you express things and I love that. I too love to cook brownies for the people I love so I will try this recipe! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. brownies are my faves!!

    have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write, Ann x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails