Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Books for new babies...

Our friends are having babies... lots of them, pink ones and blue ones. Most are on to their second or third child and I think their houses are already full to the brim with cute baby stuff.. clothes they grow out of in a month, a gazillion soft toys or those infernal bits of battery powered plastic that still litter my place.

I now mostly buy books as gifts and I don't necessarily buy those designed for babies to chew the edges.  It's lovely to have a shelf of books for a child to grow into.

This is a favourite.
Written by Ursula Dubosarsky, The Terrible Plop is about a rabbit who discovers that not everything is as frightening as you first think... it all starts with an apple.
It's wittily told and beautifully illustrated in a rather retro way by Andrew Joyner.  He has very kindly  given this little tutorial on his blog on how to draw your own bear. I am going to try it but I won't share the result. Too scarred by school art classes.

Another favourite? This...
It's a simple little story about friendship.
An Australian author, Aaron Blabey's has written other books about other kids, the charming Sunday Chutney and his latest, Stanley Paste. Here he introduces you to Stanley.

If he looks familiar to Australians (Aaron, not Stanley) it's because he's been on the telly a fair bit in his other life as an actor and won an AFI. (Australian Film Award to the non-Australians...)


According to his publishers, Aaron likes 'old armchairs, lovely sharp pencils, the way trees look when their leaves fall off, mayonnaise, his unfashionable record collection and looking scruffy'.  No wonder I like his books...


(Both books published by Penguin. Images from here and here.)

4 comments:

  1. Love books, thanks for the new suggestions! My boys love to read, we will have to hunt these down. Did you hear that you won my skincare challenge giveaway??? Skincare coming you way, just need your address and skin type! : ) Hope you had a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great suggestions. Our third little one inherited his books from his older brothers and we've been a bit slack buying him books of his own. Might have to rectify this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these, I haven't seen these before :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the terrible plop too... I read it to my 6yr olds class recently and they thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write, Ann x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails