Monday, January 24, 2011

Too much water - here AND there...

We have just spent a wonderful weekend away in another beautiful part of New Zealand  but it was wet, so wet that the usually clear aqua water turned an ugly silty brown.

When we returned to Auckland last night we found that a king tide and a sea swollen with rain had caused  flooding in parts of the city. Nothing of course like Australia's issues... but it did make me think once again of the massive clean-up in Queensland and the continuing crisis in Victoria.

Books have been on my mind too - thanks for all your suggestions for my 2011 Reading List. I spent some time on Sunday grilling my Kiwi friends about must read NZ books so they'll be there too. It's beginning to look like my Reading List for Life!

Then today I found mention on Twitter (I lurk there but don't tweet) of Writers on Rafts.

A whole bunch of Australian writers (130 so far) have got together to raise money for the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal. There are wonderful prizes on offer - the raffle tickets are $5 each and you can win book packs, help with your own writing, author visits to your school, local library or book club and tickets to writers festivals or even the chance to have a character named after you in a book... that rather appealed to me (as if starring in my own blog isn't enough!).

So if you're in Australia and you're a book lover - head on over and get buying. Every little bit helps and 100% goes to the Appeal.  Actually if you're anywhere in the world you can enter (I checked) but you won't qualify for a book visit - book packs and online writing support could be yours though and a warm fuzzy feeling for helping!

I also have a small thank you of my own too (all business here today). If you look up to the top of the screen at my site address you will see a lovely little house now adorns http://myvillalife.blogspot.com/  

I didn't know but it's called a favicon - short for favourites icon.  Cool isn't it? I won it in a lovely and very unexpected giveaway over at Striking Keys.  It's a giveaway you don't even have to enter... My very favourite way to win! Thanks again Angela for the gift and the blog tutorial!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll have your head in a book for much of 2011,lol.
    Sorry your summer has been spoilt by some rotten weather. Hopefully it will blow over quickly.
    Love the wee house - very cute.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, thanks for the Writers on Rafts heads-up, old friend. And, yep, loving your favicon. Can you see mine is a butterfly? The things we get up to nowadays - a world removed from TULS meetings ☺. J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that I'm escaping rain and floods wherever I go. I can't believe that we left the Northland and Auckland the day before all this happened.
    Thank you for your kind offer of helping me out with Auckland ideas - I didn't get much chance to log on to pick up messages. We had a fabulous holiday, you live in an amazing place Ann. I will post about our trip soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow rain rain everywhere ... I hope some is going into dams ... Anne I imagine you have a lot of blog awards in your time - but I have another one for you over at the third - the stylish blogger award given for wonderful images and great content - best le xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO welcome...remember, it was to thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write, Ann x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails